Where does Travis stand on the important issues facing Missouri?
From jobs, the economy, taxes, family values, freedom and much more, Travis believes we have crucial issues facing us in the near future right here in Missouri. Check out where Travis stands on all the issues below. And, if you’d like more information on what Travis believes, please Contact Us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible with answers.
JOBS: Our state, currently 29th out of 50 states in individual state unemployment rate (According to the November 2011 release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), needs to focus on jobs.
- We have the unique opportunity in the 49th district to be in close proximity to Ameren’s nuclear plant, and there are opportunities for building another plant or Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) in the foreseeable future. The Callaway Two Nuclear plant would be the largest jobs plan for Missouri, based on all the proposals offered by the Missouri Legislature within the last couple of years. We need to do whatever we can to implement a plan that would allow Missouri to welcome a second nuclear energy plant or SMRs that would usher in thousands of good jobs over multiple decades for Missourians.
- Frivolous lawsuits (Link to MO Chamber of Commerce Press Release) and harmful over regulation of businesses also reduce the amount of employees in our state. Travis’ goal would be to help Missouri create an environment where businesses would have the freedom to thrive without worrying about the government constantly looking over their shoulder.
- Missouri needs to get serious about becoming a major player not only in technology and the creation of innovation centers around this great state, but we need to be more competitive in the global market place. Travis believes we can do a better job of encouraging multinational organizations to invest right here in Missouri and encourage our schools and colleges to become centers of innovation that will begin using technology in new and creative ways while training Missourians for the future.
- Travis also believes that jobs come from good education. We can’t focus on just any education, but specialized education that pinpoints the needs of individual students and cultivates, builds and exports those talents into the workforce. From technology schools to medical schools to business and all others in between, good education has to be of utmost importance and focus.
- Missouri also needs to take a serious look at the China Hub that has been discussed over multiple legislative sessions recently. The China Hub would give us direct access to imports and exports in partnership with China, allowing trucking, construction, agricultural and other production companies in Missouri cost effective means to get their products to and from China, as opposed to sending product through other states and cities. I don’t believe in corporate welfare and providing huge tax cuts to those who would invest, but I do believe in helping create an environment where businesses can compete in a free market to make the China Hub a reality.
TAXES: Missourians pay 9.0% per capita, every year, due to the MO income tax, according to the Tax Foundation. That ranks us in the top 16 for tax rates in the nation as a state. We can do better! There is no reason why we shouldn’t have a lower tax rate in Missouri. Here’s a good response for naysayers who don’t like lowering taxes — Do we really believe the government can do a better job spending our hard earned money than we can?
- Taxes ought to be easier in Missouri. That’s why I’m a fan of the Fairtax for our state. If Tennessee can survive and thrive (They’re in the Top 10 in state tax rates in the U.S., requiring only 7.6% per capita in taxes) without an income tax (Except for a minimal income tax on dividend income), so can Missouri. We must figure out a way to change the tax system in Missouri to exclude unnecessary exemptions, expand the tax base, and lower tax rates for all Missourians.
FAMILY VALUES: Travis believes in the traditional family, created and blessed by our Creator. God made us to live our lives in a certain way, and Travis believes that a big part of that is by building up healthy families, encouraging strong connections between parents and children, and providing a good education.
- Travis WILL VOTE PRO-LIFE! First and foremost, our children must be protected and given the lives they deserve! Whether we have to fight against abortion and anyone that ever endangers the life of an unborn child, or if a child is abused, beaten, hurt or killed by an offender, it makes no difference, Travis will fight against injustice towards children. Also, Travis will fight for those who can’t fight for themselves. Everybody in this country and state are promised “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
FREEDOM: This section is simple, yet profoundly important. Travis and the citizens of Callaway and Cole County, as well as the whole state of Missouri and her citizens, believe in freedom. Missourians want to have the freedom to start businesses, protect our children and families, go to school and get a good education, succeed at whatever venture we take on, and we want to do so without having the government constantly looking over our should. Travis will fight to:
- Allow you to keep and bear arms
- Beat back over regulation of in our businesses and lives
- Reduce the size of government
- Lower the tax burden so you are free to spend your hard earned money as you please
- Uphold the constitution
Again, if you have any questions at all, let us know! Also, if you’d like to become a “Fitz 49er” and volunteer for the campaign, click HERE and sign up!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain